Whether you’re a stay at home mom or a professional athlete, in order to perform at your best, you must get a good night’s sleep. Using even just a few of the following 10 sleep hacks to maximize your sleep, you will soon be looking, feeling, and performing better than ever.
1. Sleep in a dark room to maximize recovery and sleep quality. Sleep masks and blackout curtains help with this.
2. Get enough sleep. When you deprive your body of its needed time to rest, you are actually lowering your metabolic rate. Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep a night.
3. The best way to kick start your circadian rhythm is to expose yourself to bright light when you wake up and limit your exposure before bed.
4. Try not to eat 3 hours before bed. Eating a large meals and directly going to bed can quickly lead to obesity as your body isn’t burning a lot of calories as your just laying there.
5. Avoid screen time from things like the computer, TV, cell phone, tablet, etc. This artificial light will keep you awake and affect your sleep.
6. Keep a journal next to your bed, and completely clear your mind of all thoughts by writing them down. You want to go to bed with a clear head.
7. Avoid caffeine and alcohol at least 5 hours before bed as they can cause troubling falling asleep and less quality sleep.
8. Try to avoid an alarm clock, train your body to wake up at the same time everyday. If you must use an alarm clock try a sunrise alarm clock to mimic the sun waking you up.
9. Practice deep breathing before bed. As you lay down breath in deeply, and slightly hold your breath, then slowly breath out. Repeat several times.
10. Sleeping directly on your back or stomach can cause back problems. Try sleeping on your side in the fetal position. Putting a small pillow in between your knees can help with comfort and spine alignment.