We’re getting close to publishing our review on EnduroPacks and our new writer Brad Haag is a big supplements fan, so we thought we’d give you some additional information to help you understand what supplements are important to your workout and recovery.
Contrary to popular belief, even when consuming a healthy diet you need additional supplementation to achieve optimal health. The reason for this is due the advent of modern agriculture, the soil that grows almost all the food we consume is depleted of nutrients.
In endurance athletes, the need for supplementation is even greater because exercise increases nutrient needs. With new supplements being released monthly that claim to take your performance to the next level, choosing supplements can be extremely confusing. Luckily there is a small amount of tried and tested supplements that truly work. Below are the Top 5 Supplements all endurance athletes need to truly advance performance and optimize health.
1. Greens supplements can be very useful and alkalizing on the body from all the stress of exercise. Taking a greens supplement can give you thousands of nutrients in one drink mix powder or capsule. I recommend all athletes consume a good quality (preferably organic) greens supplement either in the morning or the evening with a meal. After taking greens for a week you will quickly notice you recover quicker and have much more energy.
2. Multivitamins in pill form are usually vitamin overkill, which dramatically enhance your urine color as you get rid of all the vitamins you paid good money for. However there are a few liquid multivitamins on the market that are absorbed much better, therefore more useful. I recommend taking Enduropacks Multivitamin in the morning.
3. Magnesium is often an overlooked mineral that athletes literally “sweat out” through exercise. Magnesium can accelerate muscle healing and is an anti-inflammatory. I recommend athletes use 5-10 sprays of topical magnesium (applied to the skin) on the legs before a hard workout to help reduce muscle burn during exercise, and 5-10 sprays after a hard workout to increase recovery. As your day is winding down taking 300-500mg of oral magnesium such as Natural Calm before bed can have a calming and sleeping enhancing effect. I’ve notice athletes begin to look forward to taking Natural Calm before bed because they notice the relaxing effects.
4. Fish-oil has been proven to have multiple health enhancing effects. Primarily beneficial cardio-respiratory effects including an increased heart health. In addition to a healthy diet, supplementing with 4-6 quality triglyceride based fish oil capsules can help reduce inflammation and increase overall health. I personally notice my joints don’t move as well when I stop taking fish oil.
5. Vitamin D is probably the most common vitamin deficiency in the American population. Even individuals who get several hours of sunshine a day have been proven to have low vitamin D levels. Vitamin D helps with bone density, disease prevention, mood, skin health, and much more. I recommend between 4000-10000 IU’s for most individuals.
Disclaimer: The recommendations above are not to be confused with medical advice. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. No products on this page are being prescribed, and no products on this page are intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure disease.